The story of
Six brothers and one sister(Francesco, Secondo, Tersilio, Vittorio, Angelo, Emidio and Antonietta) worked In the Beltrami turnery, all engaged in production and administration. The activity of the Beltrami turnery began in the early nineteenth century in Valstrona and, precisely on the Pianella alp, where the great-grandfather Giacomo worked with the first perch lathes, collaborating with the shepherds who made vital the great mystery of the mountain and exchanging its wooden products with products of primary utility: food, clothes and other utensils.
The first objects made of wood were handles for brooms, handles for hoes, bowls, ladles, etc ... Since the mountain offered very little and having several mouths to feed Giacomo Beltrami moved to Milan in 1815 in via Broletto, adjacent to the square of the Duomo.
The transfer to the Lombard capital came after a contact with those who worked in the marble quarries of Candoglia, suppliers of stone material for the Fabbrica del Duomo. Giacomo Beltrami, in fact, began to work producing wooden objects for the Duomo itself. After the “five days battle of Milan”, the activity underwent a change moving, towards the middle of the 800, definitively to Fornero, in Valstrona (at that time under the province of Novara). From the first perch lathe we moved on to the crowded one, moved alternately by the living strength of the man who was pressing on a pedal. Only at the end of the nineteenth century, thanks to the innovative continuous rotation lathe that exploits the action of the current of the torrents, the turnery had a notable development.
Many household companies were born in areas where there were many torrents, so to have much strength to make the machines work. The grandfather Francesco Beltrami, called "il Barba", bought in 1894, along the river Crosa, a mill now in disuse, which was used to grind the flour; the grandfather, on this site, with a daring project by the engineer Pariani (dated 1906), built a forced conduit that, using the fall of water, rotated a Pelton model turbine , to produce electricity. In 1914 Francesco Beltrami bought one of the direct current dynamos, intending to illuminate his company and to use the hours of darkness.
The new energy allowed the firm Beltrami Francesco, supported by the ideas of his son Giacomo, to buy a Hempel copying lathe (coming from Germany and the first arrived in Italy), a true revolution in wood turning. In 1924 the company Beltrami was awarded in Rome with a gold medal for specialty and production of turned wooden objects. In 1964, for reasons of space and logistics, the company moved to Casale Corte Cerro (now under the province of Verbania), changing its name and operating on a covered area of 2400 square meters, with a hectare of land attached.
The Beltrami turnery, besides having many modern machinery, boasted a rich and innovative equipment in the woodworking field. In 1970 the Beltrami brothers received a prestigious award at the Milan Trade Fair. In 2000, it was one of the companies that obtained the diploma of excellence in craftsmanship from the Piedmont Region and, in the following year, the recognition by the Chamber of Commerce of Baveno (VB) for the oldest activity of the Province. The production of the turnery was very flexible and eclectic, this allowed it to have collaborations with important designers, with famous architects and with prestigious companies (Alessi, Lagostina, Calderoni,etc ...), aiming at a niche market increasingly demanding in the forms and in the quality of the products. Even the most refined and sophisticated customers were satisfied by the Beltrami brothers, because they were able to produce difficult-to-work items, with great attention to detail.